Too often we teach young designers about 'user centered' design without talking about why. There is nothing altruistic to the business of “providing a great experience for the user”.
Here are eight ways how designers create business value. Just like any other profession.
Product design as a service can:
- Reduce development costs, because it makes estimating effort more accurate and guided.
- Avoid expensive mishaps and avoid inefficient solutions being implemented.
- Increase organic engagement and retention rate by making sure that the interface is predictable, comfortable and convenient.
- Enable the ability to manipulate desired interactions that can increase revenue.
- Increase sales by making sure we reduce the frustration of the potential buyer and motivate them to a purchase.
- Help identify future opportunities. With testing and research we are able to quantify the needs and wants of the target audience.
- Benefit in gaining a competitive advantage. With well researched design you're able to deliver a more usable, satisfying and engaging experience than your competitor.
- Get you and your company more credibility, because good design increases the perception of quality, competence and professionalism.
All that is why successful companies are investing in top-notch product design. It's because apps with a great user experience far outperform those without.
And that brings in the money.