Making a habit of writing is difficult. I knew I had to come up with a way that would allow me to write fast and efficient. This is how I approach it.Read more
Geffrey van der Bos' Blog
On this blog I explore how we can consistently design successful apps.
People think of 'design' as expensive and simply pretty objects. Yet, we also all know the saying: “Form follows function” (coined by architect Louis Sullivan). Where the line between creativeness and effectiveness lies, is hard to tell.Read more
Budget is often the most limited factor in a software project. Here is how the use of prototyping can save effort, frustration and in the end: money.Read more
They are all practically the same strategy. I'll summarize them:
- Set a goal for yourself.
- Pick a niche target audience.
- Satisfy a proven need of this audience.
- Write a message/story you want to keep repeating.
- Be consistent and keep going.
That is why I have decided –after long thought– to focus on making the design industry accessible for all. Demystifying designer news, processes, and provide commentary on industry trends from the perspective of a layman.
This means my target group are people that see the benefit of design, but don't feel the need to understand it deeply.
The business owners that want results, but don't have time to plough through design books.
The good people from non-profits, that are looking for understanding what they can do to improve their...Read more
Too often we teach young designers about 'user centered' design without talking about why. There is nothing altruistic to the business of “providing a great experience for the user”.
Here are eight ways how designers create business value. Just like any other profession.
Product design as a service can:
- Reduce development costs, because it makes estimating effort more accurate and guided.
- Avoid expensive mishaps and avoid inefficient solutions being implemented.
- Increase organic engagement and retention rate by making sure that the interface is predictable, comfortable and convenient.
- Enable the ability to manipulate desired interactions that can increase revenue.
- Increase sales by making sure we reduce the frustration of the potential buyer and motivate them to a purchase.
- Help identify future opportunities. With testing and research we are able to quantify the needs and wants of the target audience.
- Benefit in gaining a competitive advantage. With well researched de...
Your competitors are not the services and products that are either similar, or the same to you.
Your competitors are the owners of products and services that are solving a similar problem, of a similar target group.
No matter what industry they are in.
You can not assume a ‘one-of-a-kind’ software solution has no match.
There could be products out there solving the problem without computers!